Think you know Dutch culture? Think again!
Did you know these interesting facts about The Netherlands?
- The Netherlands was the first country to legalize same-sex marriage in 2001
- 86% of the Dutch speak English as a second language
- The Netherlands are famous for their tulips, but tulips originally didn’t grow there. They were imported from the Ottoman empire in the 17th century
- Did you know that carrots didn’t used to be orange? They were black, yellow, red, purple or white. An orange variant was made in honor of the House of Orange, that led the revolt against the Spanish and later became the Dutch Royal Family
- New York City was first called “New Amsterdam” and was founded as a Dutch Colony