Think you know German culture? Think again!
Did you know these interesting facts about Germany?
- On the first day of first grade, every child gets a giant cone filled with toys and candy
- College is free for everyone in Germany
- According to German law, a person’s gender must be obvious by first name. So the civil registration office can refuse names that don’t comply
- It’s bad luck to wish someone “Happy Birthday” in advance in Germany
- If someone asks you, “Would you like a drink?” and you say, “Danke” that actually means “No, thank you.” But if you say, “Bitte” or “Please,” that means yes. So, to recap: “Thanks” means no thanks, and “please” means no
Do you regularly work with Germans? Have you ever considered the impact cultural differences have on your potential to do business?